photo by: Perfect World
Two months after TNC Predator and Carlo “Kuku” Palad went through all the Chongqing Major conundrum, World Electronic Sports Games revealed today that the player ban is in fact issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Public Security in Chongqing.
Kuku was prevented from playing in the Chongqing Major after he made a racist remark in a pub game back in November 2018. At that time, a few reports stated that it was the local government who imposed a ban on the player, however after a month of uncertainty and a lot of suppositions, Valve stepped in and explicitly said that ”Kuku is not banned by the Chinese government.” Valve issued their own ban on the player from attending the Major in Chongqing, China, citing the importance of accepting the responsibility of one’s actions. “ It seems like TNC is currently not taking proper responsibility for their actions, coupled with the attempted cover up by the team, so we are now stepping in directly and banning Kuku from attending this event. To be clear, TNC is not the victim in this case. It is not okay to cover up the situation, avoid any real sense of responsibility and then deflect it onto the community,” they said and punished TNC for their behavior not only by banning the player from the Major but also applying a 20% penalty on their DPC points at that time.
it's not a rumor, the municipal government met to discuss after outrage and anger grew over what people in China felt was an inadequate or delayed response and reportedly came to the organizer saying: "this event cannot have these two players"
— Jack Chen (@KBBQDotA) November 24, 2018
Mid-December 2018 TNC played in the Southeast Asia qualifiers for WESG, a tournament which is not part of Valve’s Dota Pro Circuit, but which offers a total of $890,000. They won the qualifiers and on the first week of March 2019 they are expected to arrive in Chongqing once again, as the city hosts the LAN finals.
In an exclusive comment for Cybersport.ru, WESG stated today the following:
“After inquiring the Ministry of Foreign Affair and Ministry of Public Security in Chongqing. We regret to let you know that KUKU is not allowed to enter Chongqing for the WESG event according to the decision from the city government.
As a tournament organizer, WESG will follow the instruction from the local government. This is a final decision.”
VPEsports reached to WESG today and asked for a clarification on when they learnt that the Chongqing Municipality issued a ban on Kuku, but they refused to give details at this moment. So far, TNC Predator have not made any official statement either.